recent posts

social media menu

Four ways with photos

My photographic wall sticker fox, £24.99 from the Binary Box (including a free – 2D – squirrel) hasn't garnered many fans since he appeared above the TV, on my sitting room wall a couple of months ago. In fact, I think I'm the only one who likes him, which just makes me like him even more. I'm all for niche taste.

But he got me thinking about how much I love photography on walls. Here are some of my current other favourites, in frames, on stickers and airbrushed approximations of photos...

This fantastically stylish and intriguing image of Claudia Cardinale, Burt Lancaster and director Luchino Visconti, was taken in 1963, during the filming of The Leopard. It is on sale for £99 from CultureLabel. I'd love to see it, huge, somewhere unexpected, like a kitchen wall, where it'd get the attention it deserves.

The film of the Leopard was based on the 1958 book by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa about an aristocrat in Sicily during the 1880s Risorgimento, became Italy's best selling book ever.


It's a bold look, but in the right setting, a fantastically unique way to transform and personalise a room. A vast array of photographs (and non-photographic images) are available as customised blinds from 55Max. Prices from £139 for a 60cm x 80cm standard sized blind. What a boudoir.


A very different wall sticker to my fox, and to the ubiquitous graphic styles out there, Hotel Sports, taken in 1958 by Slim Aarons, is a Getty Image in the Just Stick It Up range from Surface View, priced £55. As the name suggests, you simply stick it on your wall as is. In a tidy wall in a small space (a black-painted or bright white downstairs loo?) this could be very striking.

Syd Brak's classic 1980s photorealistic airbrushed posters were big sellers in Athena, for those of you old enough to remember. Folio Collection is selling limited edition prints of some of his most famous works, like this: Wired for Sound, £120 (A2 size).

Interesting Brak fact: the artist took his inspiration from late 1970s punks, and decided to re-imagine them as if they'd been styled by an Italian fashion designer.

No comments :

Post a Comment