Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Simple pleasures

I wrote, a few weeks ago, about how I'd decided to start collecting the dubiously 70s brown range of Hornsey Pottery. 

Having inherited one piece – the biscuit jar among this bundle of treasures – I came around to the idea slowly, but was totally sold after visiting a park cafe filled with the stuff. It just made the place seem so homely and nice, and it went well with the many Ercol chairs in the place, too – which totally de-kitsched the potential effect.

So here is my first find, from a multi-storey junk paradise in southeast London for just £1. I won't drink tea out of anything else at the moment. Isn't it funny how such a small thing can bring such simple joy.

What simple thing in your house brings you comparable daily pleasure?

Post by Kate

2 comments:

  1. I love Hornsea pottery. My mother had (and still has this) Poole service, also very homely, comforting and brown:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POOLE-POTTERY-CHESTNUT-BROWN-SIDE-PLATE-7-/140939528857?pt=UK_PotteryPorcelain_Glass_PotteryPorcelain_China_SM&hash=item20d0a68a99
    Miriam
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am coming round to Hornsea, and I *bet* it's thanks to the same park cafe you mentioned. However, I want to know where your multi-storey junk paradise is: as a long-term resident of SE London I am yearning for one! In exchange I can direct you to the most treasure-filled charity shop in the borough of Lewisham. Great blog by the way, my boyfriend and I stumbled across it while brainstorming what to do with our new 60s cabinet, and loved pretty much everything we saw. Those Barbican flats! awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Social Share Icons

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...