recent posts

social media menu

Cool craft to buy online – or at the We Make London fair

Craft fairs were once the domain of flouncy loo roll doilies and lavender bags trimmed with lace. Which, actually, could both be OK with a 2011 slant on them. But I digress: the point is that the modern craft fair is an exciting place to be, and upcoming We Make London event on 10 December at south London's Battersea Arts Centre is a fine example.


Can't make it? Fear not, you can get the best from it in a mere click of the mouse...

I have long loved Claire Scully's work, above, which I discovered at a show put on my the brilliant Outline Editions. I bought a print from her, in fact, of a giant squirrel scaling a tower block. And now she has lots of new works of art posted on her website, The Quiet Revolution. And I'm tempted all over again.


This donkey print, by Phoebe Eason, reminds me of the sort of straw tourist souvenir I imagine you might have got in Spain in the late 1960s. I love it. "Donkey O'Tay" (do you see what she did there?) costs £18, printed on 21cmx29cm paper and there are only 15 of him – so get in quick.

Mr Marlow, according to his maker, Forgotten Stiches, ran away from the circus and found his way into her Etsy shop. Now, for just £38, the handsome dog is looking for a loving new home without scary lions and clowns hanging around. He measures 30cm from nose to tail and is 40cm high. Far too good for a children's toy, he'd chirp up the mantlepiece marvellously.


Anna Wiscombe's wooden wall birds cost £15 each. A good update on the trio of flying ducks. I'd put one to perk me up in the morning, visible from bed, or in my home office to do the same job. Birds are good for that.




Clockwise from bottom left: Evolution of a Magic Trick, by Enclosed Spaces, is £45 and A2 size. It also comes in black; this sheep cushion, by Mary Kilvert, is borderline country cottage twee – but there's something ridiculously endearing about all those sheepy faces in such bright colours, don't you think? £20 (small) or £40 (less small); this cute Cakes of Britain tea-towel, £10.41, by Jilty Drawings would make a great present (and, nice touch, it comes tied in gingham ribbon); Tina Vlassopulous's elegant ceramics come in many delicately undulating forms. This elegant Spring Series Twig dressing table pot for jewellery costs £50.

No comments :

Post a Comment