It was looking a little cluttered and untidy around the edges.
But the real motivation was the paintwork...
Hmmm. So it got a weekend transformation. The paint looks white in these photos, but it's a lovely shade of a white-that's-a-little-bit-green – a Dulux mix.
I was shocked to discover that B&Q had stopped selling Dulux paint, and so we were unable to colour match the original pot. I got the colour scanned and remixed in the new brand they are stocking, Valspar, which I'd never heard of; it was a little bit darker, but seeing I was painting the whole room it was close enough (though not so good for touching up the living room, annoyingly, also in the same shade of Dulux but not in need of a complete repaint).
The walls needed some sanding to get all that flaky paint off. And once repainted, a little bit of a rearrange and declutter...
The curtain is very creased as it has just come out of the washing machine, but life is surely too short to iron shower curtains.
The side of the bath isn't new but in case you're interested, is made from off-cuts from the decking in the garden. Cheap and rather "Nordic sauna", I think.
water themed John Hinde images, but right now I think the greens make for a more relaxing space.
The black image is actually a metal advertising sign I picked up on a youthful holiday to Thailand – even in beach paradise, I have to scour the local flea markets. But I'd got really sick of it; the corners were curling and it just looked tatty. I was ready to move it on, but my boyfriend liked it and suggested getting it framed. Good move: the black gives it a fresh drama and presence, I think.
Here it is in its previous home, doing the same job.
The bathroom floor needs a little spruce now too, since my painting floor protection didn't quite go to plan.
The magazine was called 19, but it had started out life in the 1970s as a magazine called Honey, and Dan managed to unearth an original copy: voila my leaving present. It had been around the house in various positions, loose, and was getting a little battered. Time to do some more preservation work and stick it in a frame. I like the contrast of the battered paper with the clean white background.
I tried digital in the bathroom, but battery life was an issue, so for a while I was after a classic, solid FM number. This one was a recent find at a car boot sale for a couple of quid. It's so gloriously 80s, and works a treat.
What with the lovely, super cheap new door accessories we added a little while back, the bathroom's mini makeover is very nearly there.
Post by Kate